Accelerated Mobile Pages (or AMP) is a technology that promises near instant page loads when accessing an AMP enabled page from Googles search results. This article is a quick review of the AMP technology and what it does, how it works, and its pro’s and cons.
How it works
Google maintains and sets the restricted standards of web-based technologies permitted for AMP pages. Utilizing this limited tech stack allows Google to cache and store your resource as they search for your site. Leading to a near instant page load.
- Near instant page loads when users access the site via Google when on mobile devices.
- AMP pages are lean and make for fast mobile pages.
- Each page published is to abide by the AMP guidelines, creating an increase in publishing, development and deployment expense to the project.
- Failure to maintain your site may lead to Google disabling the feature and breaking your links. Additional testing and maintenance costs may be the result.
- The instant page performance only occurs for users who have found your site through Google. Other users will only see a reduced load time.
- AMP pages utilize Google-based URL’s. Deactivating AMP can lead to a breaking of these valuable back links.
- Using AMP pages may compromise your user’s privacy by offering them links to your content on Google’s website.
- The restrictive AMP substandard may not be compatible with many advanced websites.
- Twitter has abandoned the AMP project.
AMP is generally not a recommended path for most website owners to engage in. However, as with most technologies, AMP can be valuable in providing certain markets and businesses an edge. We advise caution when deploying new AMP-based systems, and recommend them only for those with heavy mobile-based users who demand the fastest responses in all situations.
Need AMP-based support or development services? (Advertisement)
Proper Programming, LLC can design, modify or update your current AMP page design. We provide extensive business analysis and system design resources for all AMP Page needs. Please contact us for your next AMP-based project, and we can ensure you maximize your return on investment.